Thursday, January 28, 2016

Housework




I was simply hanging out the clothes
on a long strung clothes line,
pinning undershirts and winter long johns
with clothes pins in the still cold,
sun lighted air.

There was no rhyme nor reason,
yet I looked up into a sky blue sky,
wisps of inconsequential ice crystals
trailing along negligible winds.

And I thought of you.

There could be no earthly connection,
except the one in my mind.

And the random chance of our first meeting
might never have happened,
and then we looked into eyes
so unmistakably ordinary,
except for whatever happened in our minds.

And did you see the waning moon rising
through bare branches that revealed almost everything
and nothing last night after our guests had gone?

And so early to bed
and late to rise
and awake sometime in the middle
of a night that might never have happened,
except there were plates and bowls stacked,
glasses nearly clinking together by the sink.
There must have been soup and forgettable talk
and leftover apricot bars on the counter.
And as I turned, I saw that you
had forgotten the clementines I had left out for your lunch.

My mind has been filled with sky blue sky,
and love possibly exists in dirty dish water.
Even the plugged-in fire in the fireplace last night,
burned flames only in our imagination.


**



Bonus: Of course, it isn't strictly true, but you can dance, anyway:




No comments: