Thursday, July 7, 2016

Happy birthday to me



Yesterday evening, you and I ate out at Mexquizito,
we shared a plate of nachos,
bowls of red chili sauce and green tomatillo sauce on the side.
And you shared some of your shrimp in creamy poblano sauce with me
and I shared with you some of my birria,
the pork stewed to succulent perfection in chilies and spices and such.
And then in the middle of the night
I turned sixty and by morning
it had started to snow.
But then you made French toast and bacon,
the maple syrup so sweet from a tree.
And then the sun came out
and the snow melted away.
Who am I?
And how did I get such a big nose?
And what will we eat for supper tonight?
If I live to be a hundred,
I’ll have German chocolate cake
and a piece of coconut cream pie on the same plate.
And if I don’t make it that far,
I’ll have a red Thai curry and sticky rice with mango.
And I’ll still probably have pie or a chocolate chip cookie.
And you’ll come a waltzing Matilda with me.

2 comments:

Trix said...

And I will too. Happy Birthday, if it is your birthday, Bert

Mike said...

I hope I'm there to share in that chocolate cake and coconut pie. Sounds divine.