Thursday, November 10, 2011

Do Gooder


I like to think of myself as a do-gooder.

Not in the sense that I do all that much good. 

Rather, I believe that giving other people the opportunity to do good is what makes them better people. 

And what the world needs is more, better people.

Now that they are repairing the Kaw River Bridge, traffic is down to one lane in both directions.

Occasionally, because of high-pressure debris blasting and such, they close off the sidewalk I normally take across the river so I have to use the upriver sidewalk.

Once across the river on the far side of the bridge there is no crosswalk, or stoplight. 

So I stand, facing the cars coming from the north – at certain times of the day, a very steady stream. 

Eventually, a driver will stop, give a subtle wave of the hand, and I cross to the median. 

The driver, has just done the tiniest of good deeds that will reinforce his or her better instincts.

I have made a better person.

Standing on the median, I begin watching the cars approaching from the south. 

Sure enough, in time, a driver will stop. 

That’s two.

Now, on the other side of the bridge approach, I look up at the sun for confirmation. 

Nearly imperceptibly, but it is clear.

The earth has moved. 

Maybe not solely due to my efforts, but a change for the better in the universe has occurred.

I turn, and stand on the side of the road, again facing the cars approaching from the south and wait. 

At the rate they’re fixing the bridge, I hope to make a significant difference in the quantity of better people in Lawrence, Kansas. 

You’ve got to start somewhere.                                                    

No comments: