Friday, December 9, 2011

Turning moments into stories and stories into poetry

I justify my poems on the grounds that I am telling a story in a voice that suits my personality. If they are less vivid or oblique than many modern poems I admire, I am content to be clear, with neither more nor less word-strokes than are needed to let the reader see the essence of what I saw and feel what I felt. Sometimes I am shooting for style points. Mostly I hope to nail the substance.

Now, does this work better in this form?

I justify my poems on the grounds
that I am telling a story
in a voice that suits my personality.
If they are less vivid
or oblique
than many modern poems I admire,
I am content to be clear,
with neither more nor less word-strokes
than are needed to let the reader
see the essence of what I saw
and feel what I felt.
Sometimes I am shooting
for style points.
Mostly I hope
to nail the substance.

And then there’s the poem I would like to write, that reveals my point equally clearly without being so explicit.

You have to walk before you can run.
You have to run before you can fly.

One day.

1 comment:

dawnmarie said...

I like seeing the contrast between what you wrote in paragraph and poem form. I thought it was actually easier to understand just written as a paragraph. The latter poem may express a similar idea but it requires a lot more context/thought.