Thursday, August 16, 2012

Sequence




What does that brick mean?
Now that one?
And now the sidewalk
full of them,
weeds and grass
coming through the gaps,
the next stretch clear,
the pattern:
one brick blocking my path,
the next pointing the way.

What does that brick-shaped
patch of unbounded sky mean?
And now that next patch
of sky blue,
unshaped,
unsegmented,
not-brick,
and then the one after the next,
stretching to the horizon -
what does it mean?

And now I walk on concrete.
What does this crossing line mean?
And the next?
And the next?
And the next?

I will end this inconsequence,
except for one more.

A man sleeps on the next bench over.
A boy plays in the fountain,
the front of his pants and shirt soaked,
his hands feeling the motion
and the waterness
of the water.
And I sit, here,
scribbling
in the shade.

What do I mean?

No comments: