Thursday, November 29, 2012

Something a little funny about race





Three black girls
sat in a corner
of Central Field.

An old white male
watched them
from across the way.

Presumptions are made
all the time
based on the color of skin,
of age, of gender.

It’s simpler that way.

Several years ago
these girls would have learned
how to add their ages together
and would still find that their total is
less than my single sum.
But are we equal to?

My people,
I presume those generations long gone
to be mine,
they came to this part of the world
some years well after
their people, more presumptions made,
were freed in this country’s
Civil War,
skirmishes for their freedom
breaking out from time to time
to this very day.

So many simplifications
in telling the tales.
Their people.
My people.

People of my skin color
and my gender,
were mindlessly  and maliciously
raping and lynching
those people of darker hues -
so long ago by these girls lives,
yet so very near the time of my own birth
in this land of the not yet fully free.

All this matters,
the math and the history,
but today I care about something else.

These school girls must have seen me coming
and I hope their merry laughter
is of a simple sort,
and I smile at what I presume
young girls might find that is funny
in a ruddy face and aging gait.
If only we each get our turn.

And then they rose,
their kinky black hair,
their skinny-jeaned legs
like scissors in harmony,
and the three girls scampered up the hill
and vanished behind the school house doors.

I presumed they were my people,
from the way they giggled.
Why wouldn’t I?

It’s better that way.

1 comment: