Thursday, March 28, 2013

At rest




A long line of white-breasted gulls faced the winter sun along a straight log come to rest in low water.

To leeward, although there was hardly a wind that mattered, a drift of leftover ice nudged against an isthmus of limestone.

On the far side, almost as many geese held their positions, headed into a bare current; a few turn for a moment for no apparent reason.

Then three geese take wing, dark-shaded wings, large, outstretched - but for a bare three beats they catch the air and then as quickly drop into the flotilla.

I’m only one, and I would count what I see, but let’s just say there are two dozen gulls and two dozen geese – and me on the bridge.

Still, the sun, low, barely warm at my back: how can they just wait there, watch there, so simply be there, wings tucked under?

Why not fly?

No comments: