Thursday, April 11, 2013

What creatures are these?


As I was walking across the bridge,
a great blue heron flew over ahead of me,
coming in for a landing.
Wings outstretched, neck crook’d, he glided over.
Then as he cleared the bridge,
that heron began to rapidly slip vertical lift.
He dropped a foot or more for every foot
he flew forward
for a hundred feet at least.
Within seconds the heron descended smoothly
from a height well above my head
to the surface of a shallow pool of water
well beneath my feet.
And then the heron stepped down
as lightly, nearly, as a feather,
and silently folded his wings against his body.
It all appeared as effortless as –
as me putting one foot in front of the other
as I walked across that bridge.

Now his species has been learning to fly
for millions of years.
And mine has been learning to appreciate
beauty and grace for millions as well.
But to actually do
the things we have evolved the capacity to do
within time and space
is something else entirely.

I walked on down the levee
and as I returned
the heron stood still where he had landed.
Surely he had already forgotten all about his masterful descent,
as he had in his flight matched without conscious thought
every feather and muscle
to the laws of gravity and aerodynamics –
that is, he flew with the elegance of
a great blue heron.
I will likely have forgotten it as well
in not too long,
but I managed to see this one heron
in a long line of herons
and for a moment
my wonder exceeded my reason.

As I headed home,
my mind flew over ahead of me
as I recrossed that bridge,
walking one foot in front of the other.


No comments: