Thursday, June 6, 2013

Today it was my birthday



I like to see girls in gray sweatshirts
and brightly colored nylon shorts,
in sneakers and dark socks,
their bare knees kicking in the air,
a pony tail or two bouncing,
the girls chattering and laughing
amongst themselves
as they walk and skip and dance
along the sidewalk.

I watched them as I walked up
from the side in South Park.
Then they were ahead of me on the sidewalk,
heading toward downtown.
And in spite of their youth,
actually because of it,
they were soon behind me.

Is it perverse at my age,
or is it our age that is perverse?
As I walked ahead,
I heard them singing
a very old song,
‘Even though I ain’t got money,
I’m so in love with you, honey,’
and I wished with all my heart
that I could have turned for a moment
and sung along with them
and not have them run away.

They don’t need to know,
and I won’t tell them:
this old man sung along with that song
long before they were born.
But I like to see girls in gray sweatshirts.

No comments: