Thursday, October 17, 2013

I wanted to say you looked nice



I wanted to say
you looked nice
when I saw you, me
sitting on the bench
in a patch of sunlight
with a straight line of shadow
for an armrest,
but I didn’t think
of it until
Wednesday
and now
all I can remember
is the look on your face
as I sat there,
scribbling something else
and maybe I just imagined that look.
Or was it a faded
turquoise skirt you wore
with large white polka dots;
the sunlight plays tricks
with your eyes
but I don’t mind.
I still think you looked nice,
if you don’t mind my too lately saying so,
the sunlight was just up and over there,
near where you came out of that door
and turned the key
and turned around to face me.
It was then that I looked up and saw that you looked nice
and then, that you saw me sitting there, except now I wonder,
was it just before or just after?
Was it me looking at you or was it you looking at me?
And then you walked away into the shade
although I’m almost positive there was a swish of skirt.
That would have been on a Monday
that I thought you looked nice.
The weather, then, at least, was clear.




Again, some spacetime 
discontinuty with the photo;
there always is.

No comments: