Thursday, December 12, 2013

Merry Christmas Milky Way



It’s not like I want anything this year,
nor does anyone I know really need anything,
but I’m bundled up and strolling up the sidewalk
with a little gladness in my heart anyway.
The Christmas lights have turned Mass Street
into a glittering Milky Way for a season.
But then the city lights wash out the Milky Way
overhead in every season.

I guess maybe I want a little darkness
here on earth.
Peace and good will, too.
And heat for my house
and power for my computer.

Oh, the climate is getting frightful,
but the storefronts are warm and delightful,
and all the lighted trees are cheery
and bright.

But how about this year we turn everything off
on New Years Eve until the New Year brightly breaks
just for the heavenly hosts on high.

Darkness and some egg nog,
and a midnight clear
is all I want for Christmas,
this year.

No comments: