Thursday, January 23, 2014

Here's your receipt


White shirt
Navy skirt
Warm eyes
She smiles
when she smiles.
A man might find a word,
or even two.
But now it’s Kodachrome,
sweet imagination,
and thank you Mr. Simon.
There must have been fifty ways
not to leave that bookstore.
Too old and too late to have said
what mumbled in that soft spot in my head -
my skull from the Jurassic,
or perhaps only the vinyl era,
Gridiron Courage or Mr. Asimov hiding in the stacks.
Other guys sinking the basket
And saying the right things.
And underneath that navy and white,
that bookstore clerk was
just another one in a million
I might have spoken to.
But my words are buried deep,
mere fragments of fossilized bones,
my shovel just circles again and again at vinyl’s end.
First there was that girl in Junior High who never knew,
and then a million, million more of her kind
all the way up through Cenozoic time -
Girls and women to whom this cave man dumbly wished
that I could have finally read
from the back of my mushmelon head
and perhaps once have said what I never said.

No comments: