Thursday, February 20, 2014

Blood draw





I waited at the red light,
a white fold of gauze
taped to my tan arm.
A man with a red beard
crossed in the walk
and sticking out of his black backpack
was one long-stemmed red rose.
Now I am not a religious man
and colors and coincidences
are only that for me,
but I prayed my blood
was red enough
for another year –
at least.
I think I can wait
a minute
for the colors to change.
It will only seem like years;
and years
will seem like minutes.
And then the man with the red rose,
turned and walked west
and I drove on to the east.
Just a little stick,
she had said.
We had laughed a little about people
preferring one arm or the other.
Nothing to it,
I thought.
Walking out the door,
I told her I would
forget how she had stuck me in another minute.
And then I would forget her.
And then the man with the red beard.
And then my prayer
pulsing through
my veins.
And a long-stemmed red rose.

No comments: