Friday, July 24, 2015

Ms Bailey's Third Grade Class



Ms. Bailey


She stepped out of her fire-engine red car
wearing her college maroon T-shirt
and a pink painters cap.
Her hair stuck out like straw.
Soon, in one hand, snaked the garden hose
In the other, with a metal forked tongue
she scolded the weeds.
But when a tiny little bunny
scurried out of the flowers
she yelled ‘rat’ in her outdoor voice
and the bunny quickly turned
cottontail and tucked back into the garden.
Then we sat on the sidewalk and ate ice cream.
What will she tell her third-graders
about how she spent her summer vacation?


Third grade


I went to third grade fifty years ago.
I went again to third grade - again –
yesterday.
The faces seemed the same,
but none that I could remember.
I recall a boy in a bright orange shirt
in the middle of the room.
A girl, her hair might have been brown,
a pencil poised to make a poem.
If you give me their names with the faces,
I might see if one day they do anything big.
But already they are capable
of little kindnesses
and their curiosity might take them
where they want to go.

1 comment:

Trix said...

I like how the teacher used her "outside" voice.