Thursday, January 14, 2016

or cut bait


If you intend to fish for poetry,
you should get up pretty early
and stay out quite late.
A nap anytime almost never hurts.
Patience is important:
a walk can be too fast,
though it is rarely –
almost never – too slow.
But poetry streaks
at the speed of light
and yet it lurks just as well
in the stone cold stillness.
Once a poem slipped through
my dripping fingers
because I had left
my paper and pen at home
and there were unpatched holes
in my net.
I’ve probably jinxed myself
by saying too much,
but it’s not a matter of superstition.
And luck isn’t merely
a matter of luck,
but it’s hard to know in advance
which effort will be worth the time.
The question is something to think about
when you have nothing better to do.
You could – I suppose – say that about poetry.
often itself a kind of question,
but that would likely be a waste of words.
Poetry might be a will o’ the wisp;
it might be granite.
Poetry might be pink socks;
it might be galoshes.
But who wears galoshes
these days?
I’ll say this –
though it goes without saying -
that poetry is not about the words,
but it is entirely about the words.
If there is a melody or a tune,
it must be in your head –
or maybe an errant tuba
or something.
Maybe it’s the crescendo
or diminuendo in the cracks
on the concrete sidewalk.
Flip a coin
and watch it roll
into the storm drain
that flows to the river.
Poetry waits.
You can fish –
or cut bait.

No comments: