Thursday, August 11, 2016

How could I have known?




I think that I may have slept
straight through
the changing
of the world.

I had been awake –
preoccupied –
the long night before.

Then all of this happened on the same day
following.
I saw the most beautiful
woman I had ever seen
in my life.

I had just been drinking
the most satisfying iced tea from a pint glass
in a coffee shop. She
walked in.
I saw only her for a
moment. And then
there was only ice
cubes in the bottom
of my glass.

And then later I was doing
the dishes at my kitchen sink
and I heard a song –
I was wearing headphones
and then the song in my ears was the only song
I had ever wanted to hear.

It was all too much. I laid down
and closed my eyes for just a minute
And then suddenly it was an hour later.

I stepped outside
rubbing my eyes and looking up
and then the stars came out
in a quickening darkness
for what might have been –
just perhaps –
the very last time.

1 comment:

Trix said...

must be the meteor shower ;-)