Wednesday, March 15, 2017

The universe gave me a Valentine


The universe gave me a Valentine. Okay, it was the fourth of March and it was just a smashed, heart-shaped bit of metal glinting in the early morning sunlight when I crossed 15th street near Central Middle School. 

Still, I bent and picked it up. Countless car tires had mashed the surface of what almost looked like a lid for something sweet into a crinkled and haphazard pattern. Isn’t that just like the universe, I thought. And there were pockmarks and scratches where stones had poked and scratched into the surface of the metal. And the shine had been taken off of it somewhat. But I could see a pink and purple elephant sitting in the middle of it all and the message was quite clear: “I’ve got trunkfuls of love for you.” And I like double chunk chocolate chip cookies. I do! I do like double chunk chocolate chip cookies!

I had always known that the universe cared. Well, actually I had sometimes doubted it a little bit. There have been hard times, dark days in which my heart was mangled nearly beyond all recognition. But here I am. And over my right shoulder the sun was rising into blue skies as I walked across the trampled grass of the football field towards the Kaw River.

Better late, my dear heart. Better late than never.

Thanks, bert

1 comment:

Trix said...

Better late than never, or so they say.