Sunday, October 15, 2017

Walking back from the grocery store



Link to poem read by author


The daylight crescent moon
was slipping on down towards afternoon,
hanging by a thread from an unseen wishing star.
Tipping and tumbling,
the pale moon had spilled out most of its cream.
And now I have nearly forgotten my nighttime dream.

Instead, I turned at the near corner rather than proceeding on ahead
and shortly a silent Furbie sitting at a yard sale caught my eye -
unwinking.
The woman standing there with her coffee cup would let it go to a good home –
she said.
The Furbie had no batteries and there was no guarantee that the well-worn toy would speak –
let alone tell me what I wanted so dearly to know.
Still I let go of what I had been so wishfully thinking of for now - this moment now here.
And so with my groceries in my one hand,
I took that old Furbie up with the other empty hand -
the hand that had been holding onto thin air -
I held the thing in my hand.
And then I saw a monkey matching card game marked at fifty cents –
that too, I added.
And a stacking up wood blocks and marble toy that seemed too good to let go
for only two bucks more.
Though with hardly a second look, I passed easily on by a perfectly rusty metal chair –
also only presently priced at a mere two dollars.
It seemed as if that old chair might as well once have been painted green as blue –
but I was done looking for what I no longer really needed anymore.
But the chair might indeed once have been blue.
Who knew?

The folks running the yard sale offered to toss in a single postcard into my hands so full of little
for nothing.
The card that I had perused and put down and then had picked up anyway.
That particular postcard of a painting of pretty people partying
in a long gone night club so long ago.
And just so you know,
the painting was called ‘Nightlife.’
It had been painted well before even I had even eventually ever been born -  
painted by a painter named Motley, but what did it all matter?
And to what point – all these words spilling out of my head?
Still I added the card to my negligible burden of stuff
and I walked on.

And then there appeared somewhat rusted ahead of me –
nearly all of a maple tree’s red pointed maple leaves,
waiting on the ground for the rake …
or the wind …
or the coming winter …
or my shuffling feet ...
which ever would come first in order of happening.
Hardly questions even worth asking –
I suppose I might then well have well said.
After all, the branches above my head had just let them go –
all of the rusted red maple leaves -
the branches had just let them go.
So what choice did I ever even have?

The sky so high up above me held back the night for a morning–
the sky –
bright October sky –
sky blue.

And then once again
I was day dreaming
of you.



1 comment:

Trix said...

I had to look up Furby--couldn't remember what it was. Like this.