Thursday, December 21, 2017

Oh, say, can you see?

 

This tale may signify nothing,
it has no real sound nor fury,
it’s merely about a flag,
once planted.

I had found a light blue T-shirt
lying on the ground,
and with an idle thought
tied it with some twine
onto a dried length of cane from my yard,
about twenty feet.
I went back to Central Middle School
and drove the end of the cane pole down
into the pile of woodchips in the garden,
not to stake any claim,
but because the garden
seemed to want a flag.

The T-shirt flew
in the wind on windy days -
flapping, billowing, fluttering -
and the T-shirt rested quietly
when the wind was absent.
In time the cane
rotted off at the base
and I drove down the remaining flag pole
down into the compost pile again,
just a few feet shorter.

I watched the flag flying
or resting
over the days and months.
Each time the flag of sorts fell over
I drove the cane down
until the end of the pole did meet the solid earth,
the wood chip pile holding upright
the slowly fading flag aloft.

And then, there came a day
when there was not much length of cane
left to drive.
And so I wedged the remaining pole
in a nearby wire arbor on which squash
or other vining vegetables might gain support.
And so the flag still flew
when the wind blew
and it rested when the wind
was absent.

For one month,
then another,
and then many more months,
until that simple
T-shirt flag had flown
in the Central garden for more than a year.

And now it is the winter solstice
and as the earth tilts once more 
towards the sun, I must ask:

Oh say, can you see,
by the dawn’s early light,
or by the afternoon sun’s bright shining,
or even by twilight’s last gleaming,
or perhaps just barely in the dark night
when no students were watching,
if my faded blue flag was still there?

I only ask this question
because I still wonder
if we are indeed the home of the free and the brave.
But for now, in my own homely neighborhood, at least,
yet still this old banner doth wave,
at least signifying that flags wave in the wind
and they rest when the wind is absent.
And signifying,  just perhaps,
that we ourselves  might indeed be steadfast
and hold the freedom of our children
ever more dear.


~ 30 sec flag video

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this, Bert!!! We talked at school about the solstice, about the seasons of the earth. The flag lives....so the "random" act, turned out not to be so random and full of chance! Merry Christmas!

xoxoxoAnne