Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Like candles




It wasn’t even close to my birthday.
Yet the tips of the bare branches on the treetops
were burning like candles.
Then, as the earth turned beneath my feet,
without even a single breath,
those flames were extinguished.

I walked on along the street
towards where the moon would be rising,
the air biting my nose,
the sounds of my footsteps in my ears.
The sky was so deep and so clear
as far out as my eyes could see.

I walked on into the night
towards where Orion the Hunter would be rising 
to take his lonely place in the sky,
turning as the earth turned
through the long, cold winter.

At dusk, not even a short hour ago,
I had watched a hawk
flying near the tops of the tree branches.
At least the hawk
only killed for survival.

And yet, as I walked,
tonight all was calm
and the moon was so bright
and I wondered as I watched
why all of this was still somehow not enough.

‘So this is Christmas,’ Lennon sang
ages and ages ago -
and again and again on my digital device.
But his words remained only a lyric:
War was not over.

I bowed my head.

And then, at last, I turned towards home.
I, at least, would be warm,
sitting down with my wife for my supper soon.
Comfort and not always joy.

And still tomorrow I will be glad to see the sun rising
and to be breathing in the wind,
watching the bare branches reaching ever upwards.

But in the darkness of the night
I asked the glittering stars up above so high,
Why do we humans extinguish
the beauty that we did not create?


2 comments:

dawnmarie said...

Why why why. At least you appreciate the beauty.

Trix said...

Can answer that. I wonder too.
But perhaps the candles were for my birthday. ;-)
I will assume so. Thanks.