Saturday, June 23, 2018

Wishing you were here



I wanted to tell you something. Perhaps you might realize that because the moon is so far away from the earth and because light travels so fast, no matter the physical distance between two people on the earth, from the moon’s distant perspective you and I might simply be standing along a straight line merely a blink of an eye away from each other.

And so, when I woke up in the middle of the night and I saw moonlight streaming through the kitchen window, I leaned in slightly over the sink and looked up at the moon high above me. Suddenly, it seemed to me as if you might be standing right behind me. But when I turned around to look, the room was dark and you weren’t there. I could almost hear your voice whispering to me.

I turned back and leaned into moonlight once again. And then I found myself a thousand miles away, standing outside your bedroom window in the moonlight. I thought for a moment to peek into your window to see if you were asleep, but instead I just left some moonlight on your windowsill.

In the next instant I was standing once again in my own darkened kitchen. Turning, turning, I wanted merely to put my arms around you for just a few moments. Only for a moment and then I would let you go.

But even when we lived in the same town, it most mostly passing time that we spent together. We were close enough to hug, but we rarely did. We talked now and then. And when we looked into each other face’s and caught each other’s glance, we quickly looked away. We were close and not so close. I suppose that it was near enough for then, but we were also just passing each other by, going on with our separating lives into different distant worlds.

And still, tonight, I miss you.

I just wanted to tell you that when I see the moon shining so brightly, sometimes you come into my mind. I hold you so very lightly and then in time I go back to bed.

Wishing you were here - to put my arms around you, to hold you, and then, to let go once again.

1 comment:

Trix said...

moonlight will do that to you.