Monday, April 6, 2020

Random thoughts



Does facebook replace face to face? Did radio and TV replace front porches? Do big boxes replace mom and pops? Do apples equal oranges? What about picking cherries or crab apples? Are clever phrases better than nuance. Do my thoughts negate yours? This is not an argument. And it's not both or neither. Or a little bit of one and a little bit of another. I had the best apple crisp I have ever eaten at a friend's house, oh, maybe it was a couple of months ago. Maybe it was last year. She's a little older than I am. But man, is she funny. I wish I could tell you how. But I'm not that good with words. Not even if I were talking to you could I tell you how she is funny. To tell you truth, I don't understand it myself. Anyway, I don't think I've known her for more than a few years. We're in a book group together. I usually don't read the books. But nobody minds. Sometimes we don't even talk about the book. But that's not the point I was making. I was talking about apple crisp. And my friend. Who I don't really know very well. I don't think she's on facebook. But she would be a hoot on facebook. She says 'hoot' sometimes. She likes me. This was never about the apple crisp, but it is. I don't want to talk about Eleanor, I want to talk to her. To Eleanor. But with this damn virus thing I don't know when that's going to happen. And there's this other friend. Well, she's half my age. I met her at the coffee shop that I hang out at. She's a barista. But the coffee shop is closed for the duration. As they say. But nobody says 'duration.' Anyway, Bailie says 'fuck' more than she says 'hoot.' And she has two daughters. And her older daughter says 'fuck' more than I do. I try to keep up. But there was this time.I was showing her this math trick. Did I forget to mention that I was tutoring her in math. Maybe I should tell you her name so I don't have to use pronouns so much. It's Cassie. Short for Cassiopeia. Not really, I'm making this all up. Well not all of it. Just the names. Now why would I do that? That's rhetorical. Anyway, it got to be that Cassie and I just messed around more than we did math. But I was showing her this thing with a Mobius strip. You cut it in half... but that's not the point. Anyway, she kept on saying she knew what was going to happen and I said keep cutting. And then what happened, happened and she looked up at me and said, 'what the f...' She couldn't even get the whole 'fuck' out, she was so surprised. I will never forget the look on her face. And I can't tell you how many times she looked at me. Never the same, but always her. Cassie. And Cassie keeps changing. I couldn't count the changes if I wanted to. You should have seen the look on her face. And I don't even know her that well. Do you know you can see Cassiopeia in the night sky if you know where to look. And when. And this is just rambling pointless nonsense. Fucking words. I get so goddam tired of facebook. You shouldn't have got me started. I should have quit when I got to Seymour. Get it? That's a lame joke. Bailie would have laughed. Did I tell you I go to a coffee shop to drink iced tea? That's the truth and a lie at the same time. And don't take that as my point. I don't want to make a fucking point. I don't even want to make an ordinary point. I just want to see someone. And not just anyone, And I don't even know who I want to see more. And why am I telling you this? Am I telling you anything? Something? I guess I should finish this. I've got laundry to do. That's what my Mom would say at the end of her letters, Or something like that. It's been a long, long time. Her name was Evelyn.

1 comment:

Trix said...

I love this piece. And maybe sometime if I ever get back to Lawrence again, I can meet the funny woman and the woman who says fuck all the time and her daughter.