Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Obviously


 

It was just another walk to the river.

Past the middle school,

the alley,

the church.

One foot in front of the other.


Grown men playing at being swordsmen in South Park.

Bygone ways from bygone days.


People strolling along on Mass. Street.

Snatches of conversation,

nothing worth repeating.

A mother baby-talking to her baby,

baby riding high on daddy’s shoulders.

“Too much sun. Too much sun.”


The ghost of Don McLean singing American Pie

outside the store that sells beer brewing stuff

to people who want to brew beer.

I listened to the music for a while.


And when they had caught the last train for the coast,

I got up to get a drink from the water fountain nearby.

The water was warm -

but it was wet.

It was water.


The Dusty Bookshelf was crowded.

People lined up to buy books.

More books piled up than

anyone could sell in a month of Saturdays.

And then some.

I walked out.


And then finally as I crossed the Kaw River Bridge

I thought I might just as well turn back...

but inertia carried me on down to the water’s edge.


I found a drift-log resting in the shade of a sycamore tree.

A pleasant breeze.

Cicadas singing.

City sounds receding into the background.


I rested.


With an unfocused gaze,

I reflected on a river reflecting sky.

I noted what I had noted.

And time passed as it always does.


And now the past is past.

I have have written

what I have written

and I wonder:

Have I said too much?

Have I said too little?


Probably.

 

4 comments:

Neighbor Rachel said...

I'd love to walk to the river with you, Bert. As you know, I can't do that. Meanwhile, I'll just have rely on your posts. And that's in the realm of almost as good.

Neighbor Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I wish to come over in your country

Trix said...

Most days, I walk down our hill and back, noticing what wasn't there yesterday. Take care.