Sunday, January 1, 2012

Reality Check


On New Year’s Day
I walked up Mass. Street. to the river.
I walked down the center double-yellow line
from 11th Street to 6th Street.
The silent storefronts rose up on either side of me
like a grand canyon.
The sun cleared the eastern edge of the world
and warmed the western rim of brick and stone.
I crossed over at 6th and scaled the City Hall,
leaping up from one curved balcony to the next.
From the top, I dove in a perfect arc,
over the train tracks,
over the Bowersock Powerplant,
into a deep pool in the Kaw River.
Swimming quickly to the far side,
I bounded up the limestones
to the top of the levee
where I faced the sun
and shook the excess water out of my hair -
and walked back home
to take a hot shower
and change back
into my secret identity.

No comments: