Thursday, April 26, 2012

Mother Nature




Do not mistake what you see all around you
everyday,
underfoot,
blurring past your peripheral vision.
This is not nature:
in all its glory,
wild,
with a life and energy
of its own
untouched by human ingenuity or imagination.

But should you find yourself in the wilderness,
do not mistake what you see all around you,
the grandeur,
the minute,
the soul tugging wonder of wherever you look.
This is not Nature.

This capital N creation is in our minds
and nowhere else.
We are shaping the mystery and the meaning
from our experience
and making the world
Good
or Nothing.

So when I step from my back porch,
minutes before sunrise,
the sky is the color of sky,
it is the same,
and different,
from the day before.

There’s a glistening of dew
on the Central field,
reflecting,
in each droplet,
that sky.

Who could possibly care how imperceptibly
the sky lightens?

A cottontail freezes in the grass.
No, it’s just a rabbit sitting in a mixed bunch
of weeds and grasses cut uniformly short.

Lilacs,
early this year.
No, I’m mistaken,
again.
It’s wisteria,
so unbelievably full of weeping blooms.
I peek through a hole in the fraying bamboo screen
and I see and hear a human-made waterfall.

But the earth is moving beneath my feet,
at a thousand miles an hour,
give or take,
as I walk toward East Heights.
The sun is rising just north of east
behind the clouds -
there, it breaks through,
a glowing orange.

I turn,
every window on Fraser
reflects the light,
then the sunlight
fires the flags
and on down the face of the building
like a burning bush.

I’m already on my way home.
The mist in the air
glows golden above the asphalt
of 15th Street against the new growth of the trees
when I look back over my shoulder.

And the sun,
relative to the earth,
remains unmoved;
it is my path
rising up beneath my feet
at an imperceptibly
furious pace.

The brick walls of Central
are awash in the color of the sun
as it bleeds through the long angle
of atmosphere.
The effect is not to be believed.
Or might only be believed.

For Nature is in our minds.
The artificial prairie of the Central field,
budding trees around the perimeter,
and a line of power poles,
the wire sagging gracefully
from the pull of gravity
each time the tall, dead tree trunk releases its grip –
and on to the next pole,
a spider’s web of energy and information.

Life, the universe, and everything,
is so much repetition,
ordinary tasks,
mundane,
everyday,
business.

And the sun will rise again tomorrow,
whether we sleep,
or wake.

No comments: