Thursday, May 3, 2012

Zen Dawn




I didn’t used to be a morning person –
when I slept better.
But it’s something to watch the stars fade into the brightening sky,
to hear the day break,
the birds in the trees,
the incessant hum – sometimes near,
sometimes far –
of rubber on pavement,
the crush of the city trash trucks
compacting garbage just over the canyon rim,
hydraulics whining,
heavy metal banging on metal.
It’s a magical time,
abundant parking,
the sidewalks clear of all but last night’s debris
and the occasional walker or jogger.
I smelled bacon frying as I walked past the Eldridge this morning.
Let me be clear, I added only a whiff of irony to this poem for effect.
Morning is a magical time.
Downtown Lawrence isn’t the only magical place in the universe,
but it’s one of them –
if you’ve learned how to be.

No comments: