Friday, May 18, 2012

I licked a lime once




I licked a lime once.
Full across its face.
Always used to be a Kroger’s frozen concentrate additional pulp orange juice guy.

Now I’m wondering:
Is there anything else I should have tried all these years,
or:
was it the waiting all these years, drinking that orange juice, day after day, that made finally licking that lime so remarkable?

Not that the sensation was so very special,
I still prefer orange juice.

But the impulse -
Doing the deed I hadn’t done before.

I’m considering walking backwards all the way across the Kaw River Bridge…
maybe on my sixty- sixth birthday…
unless I tipple over the railing the day before…
from sheer giddiness.

T.S. Eliot considered whether to eat a peach or not.
Robert Frost took a lesser-used path.

And I,
I licked a lime once.

No comments: