Friday, January 11, 2013

A mid-winter gray sky




The sky today was gray,
not dark or particularly dreary,
uneven, bright in patches,
as if the brilliant blue sky of yesterday
was hovering just overhead,
about to come through the gray.

My left big toe ached a little
with each step of my left foot against the sidewalk as I entered South Park -
the bare toe I had managed to kick the back of my right ankle with
decades ago while circling under a high flying softball
at a church picnic.
But I would stop noticing my toe by the time I reached the Court House.

And a little girl sat astride one of the motionless ponies
on the tiny merry-go-round in front of the Antique Mall.
Whether it had been turning before I arrived or not,
I couldn’t say.
But she sat, wearing a fuzzy hooded parka,
the coat so cute, only one as young as she could pull off the style,
her hands locked onto the handles on either side of her pony’s head,
not listening to her mother’s tale of all the things they had yet to do.

And then it began to sprinkle.
And it occurred to me
that it had not occurred to me
that the light gray sky I saw overhead as I left my house
called for anything like an umbrella.
And then it stopped.

And as I crossed at Sixth Street,
half-way home,
a young woman,
with smooth, bare legs
jogged towards me
on this gray day
two days before the eve of the New Year.
Her pretty cheeks were flushed,
the kind of girl I wouldn’t have dreamed of asking out
even when I was less than half my age.
Yet when she passed me,
my youth but a memory,
she looked over at me and smiled.

That’s the kind of gray the sky was today.


No comments: