Thursday, January 24, 2013

Duchess Pears




Some pears are nice to look at.
Some pears are nice to eat.
And sometimes, I’m here to tell you,
the first bite is so very sweet.

But I would not objectify pears.
I love them in my heart
and I savor them on my tongue.
And I’m here to tell you,
they satisfy me in my belly.

But I have been known
to do two things at once;
to believe one thing
which contradicts the other.

Their skin,
yellow and freckled,
their flesh,
not white like snow,
nor brown like the earth.

But I am here to tell you,
their juice is like and not like yours.

If I have misled you,
it is because you followed.
My words are only some small thing
yet nothing - compared with a real pear.

I’m here to tell you
there are several still
in a ceramic bowl
on the sill.

I was not I
who named these sweet pears: Duchess.

And not any pear,
but the one I hold in my hand,
the one about to become one with me;
and in between,
so fair, so fine, so real,
and in my mouth,
so pear,
and, yes, I’m here to tell you,
perhaps with a blemish or two.

No comments: