Thursday, July 11, 2013

Where



It will have to do.
If I tell you that the answer lies within what I can no longer remember,
it will just have to do.

Two roads diverged, as Mr Frost said - so, well and good.
He so succinctly described his own experience,
but which road I have then taken is not at all clear to me.

You know who I am.
I have been by your side
for a long time,
yet I remain something of a mystery
to you – and to me.

I must not be far from here,
the one I used to be,
and – or perhaps –
far from the one I might be in the morning.

All is not lost,
only me. And then only
parts of me, and
not for nothing,
I should note that
I have likely only misplaced
an idea of myself.


The moon was nearly as new as it could be
a few nights foregone, the points
of the upward pointing cusps separated by the width
of my outstretched thumb.

Venus, gleaming a little higher
looked about to drop straight down
and splash into the perfect bowl.

The ancients would have been able to tell the time
from such small things, they knew where
in the universe they were by
extrapolating from the regular
movements and positions of these
celestial bodies.

Where - that they could say clearly – 
only guessing why,
well, in that, they were a lot like us.

Yesterday evening, the moon, not quite a quarter - 
still the time I was unsure of; it had climbed higher in a clear sky,
darkening, but still lighter than the one I remembered from
a few nights earlier.

I had been walking alone then;
this evening you were by my side.
And then a little later we slept, side by side,
for some time.
And then I was awake, unsure
of where.

Those two roads diverging,
and then two more at the end of those,
and, then at the end of those four:
so many more,
and on and on into an infinite regression.

Oh Mr. Frost, Mr. Einstein – can anyone
help me now?

I will close my eyes, and let the
spinning go spinning on. And I will imagine that in time,
in due time, in less time than you can pinch
between your thumb and your forefinger,
I will have forgotten, or rather
I will have awakened, and hopefully,
remembered enough,
and you will be there beside me.

I will not bother you with details of where
I’ve been. How could you possibly understand?
I don’t know myself.

I believe that Mr. Frost was quite aware
of the additional questions posed by his elegant asking of
this one or the other one.
He would likely have tossed aside,
like so much used bedding in a barn,
some of the ways people have made simple principles
out of his poem.

To be sure, I have taken one path or the other,
some have led to significant results. It would take a fool
not to see that  - and there are some fools around.

But looking back, some choices and results seem clear enough,
but by no means all. And now,
I have merely come again to the beginning of Mr. Frost’s poem,
two roads diverging. He hasn’t made it any easier,
but then, I’m don’t think that was his intention.

The sky is lighting. One ball has slipped below one horizon.
The other about to ascend. Maybe I will slip between the sheets
next to you and close my eyes.

In a few hours, I’m pretty sure I can find my way to the Saturday
Farmer’s Market. If only you
might hold my hand
when I cross the street.

1 comment:

dawnmarie said...

This is a good poem to read over more than once. I like the theme of changing selves (or at least the idea that our selves aren't 'fixed') and how we're separate from each other but long for connection.

"tossed aside, like so much bedding in a barn" --great line