Thursday, July 4, 2013

Young woman walking



When she passed me on the bridge,
there were only a few inches
of pale lower calf
between the plain cotton skirt
and the tops of her well-worn work boots.
A lustrous red-brown they were.
Her faded blue skirt
folded up around her legs
and fluttered at the hem.
She was walking a half-step faster than I was.
I caught a glimpse
of cheek and dark glasses,
her rusty hair tied back,
and I followed her as she pulled away.
She carried a book in one hand.

I wondered if we might have had anything
to say to each other.
For I was nearly twice her age,
and a stranger.
Maybe if I see her again,
I’ll ask her where she got her boots.

***

When she passed me on the bridge, there were only a few inches of pale lower calf between the plain cotton skirt and the tops of her well-worn work boots. A lustrous red-brown they were. Her faded blue skirt folded up around her legs and fluttered at the hem. She was walking a half-step faster than I was. I caught a glimpse of cheek and dark glasses, her rusty hair tied back, and I followed her as she pulled away. She carried a book in one hand.


I wondered if we might have had anything to say to each other. For I was nearly twice her age, and a stranger. Maybe if I see her again, I’ll ask her where she got her boots.

No comments: