Thursday, April 10, 2014

Mother Nature and Father Time





Time and Nature
are Father and Mother,
or so we have told ourselves.
Indeed that cold day in February
has turned soft and warm
in March. And time,
well, it marches on hard apace.

And so I sit,
the breeze ruffling my hair,
a veil of cloud,
the sun warming through.
The river curves.
And then time passes by
like a woman - and now I am
reluctant to see her sauntering
away from me down the levee trail,
tan sandals on her feet,
toes painted salmon.

And then, too, I feel that today
Father is the bench,
extending up from the center of the earth,
his wooden arm against my shoulder.
The man in me sighs.
The woman in me is strong.
And our lover is the moon.
Our children are the stars.
Or maybe it’s all the other way around.

1 comment:

dawnmarie said...

I like the mother/father images you've incorporated here and how they're connected to the objects/people around you.

This poem sounds so wise and it sounds like you're so old. (!)

Life is more fragile than we know, though and it certainly is passing.