Thursday, April 24, 2014

The swallows of April




It was this April,
or perhaps it was last,
I stood on the Kaw River Bridge,
one foot on the low rail,
my arms resting on the top,
my shadow far down below
in the brown rippled water.

The swallows are stitching
their pattern again,
but last year’s seems different,
somehow, and maybe it was the swallows
and I think that I cast no shadow then.

There goes one, back electric blue,
wings beating hard
against a cold, hard wind,
flying low and fast just above
the wind caps of the river.

Another, back colored in the color
of a soft pink rose.
Straight ahead, curled turn,
beating and gliding,
backs of swallows and more swallows
reflecting up into my eyes.

I didn’t measure.
I didn’t count.
I’m sure they did what they did
well before I came,
and will, after I have gone.
Stitching. Stitching.

I saw more than one swallow
with a brilliant blue back,
but they merely flew
over the water
like swallows do.

No comments: