Thursday, May 29, 2014

Flight of the heron





Poetry wanders in the spaces in between the stars
and in the interstitial spaces deep in the folds of your brain.
Or I might simply say that Poetry is in the air.
And, of course, there is so much nonsense
and so little truth in this definition
that I have really only spoken of my ignorance.
It’s not that I have not wracked and pondered
and watched and waited for understanding.

And then I was walking across the bridge
and a heron took off from the shallows
and instead of a lazy, low, flap and glide
to the other side, he dug in his wings,
pulling hard against the air.
Building speed, he flew,
and hard he turned,
still grasping every molecule of air
and pushing them straight behind him.

The lowering sun shown off every gray feather
and his hard pointed bill thrust forward as he passed.
The strong winds buffeted his body
and he corrected his course,
until finally gaining the levee
the heron turned again, not resting,
wings moving with purposeful grace,
back toward the center of the river,
and then yet one more turn he took.

And that heron beat on and on,
finally headed straight down the river,
not having taken what would have seemed to me
to be a more straightforward path.
The heron spoke no words.
And it was not, after all, for my benefit that he flew.
Yet I paused in my thoughts
to watch that heron fly.

2 comments:

dawnmarie said...

Noticing in great detail what's happening in front of us certainly makes poetry. The first part of your post reads like prose and the later part is more poetic. Is that my subjective take or do you think the same?

Bert Haverkate-Ens said...

There was some intent to contrast the ponderousness of my thinking in the first stanza with the effortlessness of the heron flying downriver. If you define poetic as 'uplifting,' then hopefully the whole poem increasingly takes flight, along with the heron, by the end. bert