Thursday, May 8, 2014

Out and back





A spring day,
one of the first true shirt-sleeved days
since last year.
A day to be walking out along the levee.
Ought to be something to make a poem about.

But it’s just the gray fringe of trees budding green.
And below and off to the side,
that henbit purpling
and an occasional round sun-colored dandelion.

My feet scuffling gravel,
one step, then another.

Scuffling.

I finally turn.

Now the sun squints my other eye.
The breeze at my back –
but it’s so slight
it’s hardly worth a mention.

A butterfly, or perhaps
it’s a moth - who could possibly care
but another of its kind.
White winged, it flits, flutters,
can’t hold a straight line for anything.

The shadows of tree branches
fall across the levee,
but not dark enough to trip me up.

My feet scuff the gravel,
one step and then another.

That blue sky, blue sky,
so blue a sky that you can’t tell
how deep it goes.

Still, tomorrow this passing day
will be as if it never was.
Too bad I found so little to say.

No comments: