Thursday, July 17, 2014

Summer dress


I have forgotten how to say things simply.

I have had this conversation in my mind
many times before within my mind.
I have questioned my questions
and have quested for words
to merely define
simply the questions.
A word would have been an achievement.
But the universe expands
and complexity multiplies.
The perspective which I seek is relative
to quasars or to quarks.

So, when you wore that summer dress
on that summer day,
I was at a loss for words.
Suddenly the words I usually have
at the tip of my pen
were so inadequate to the task
of telling you
how just looking at you
merely standing there
in your life
made me feel.
And you moved.
Swirled.
And now my nonsense
is nearly complete.

Later after dinner,
my wife and I drove to the lake
as the day was coming
to another normal end.
We parked and walked along the guardrail
to where we could see the earth and the sky together.
The air was a little thick that evening,
so we could easily stare
as the orange solar disc
dipped easily toward the lake.
It slipped for a few moments
behind a bar of clouds,
a lower arc of orb reappearing
before all settled into a low bed of clouds
nearly the color of one of the colors
in your summer dress.

The sky was the sky.
And the earth was the earth,
steady as she goes.
The lake, wind-patterned, but calm,
carried along the color.
There were ripples in your dress as I recall,
but the moments are so long gone
that there is no point in weeping
over what has already been nearly forgotten.

And still I discovered,
hidden in a drawer in my soul,
feelings I couldn’t express.

It is not my words,
but me, myself,
who is out of place.
And perhaps me,
looking for mere words
before properly looking at your dress.
Some muted blues, simple lines.
The dress suited you
and I should have opened my eyes
to simplicity and elegance.
But truly there isn’t time.
I cannot seem to slow my mind enough,
to abandon all the extraneous words and thoughts
rushing through at the speed of sunlight.

This might be how and why
one should look at only what is in front of one’s mind,
calming the moment.
I’ll tie my memory to a word or two
and toss the others aside.
And then I will toss those, too, away as well.
The sun has long set
and a spell must be spoken from the heart.

I will see you rise with the full moon,
the color of your summer dress,
the night wind curling your hem,
your eyes reflecting the dew
reflecting the moon
reflecting the sun
reflecting your look
reflecting the way I feel
when I see your summer dress
on you.
 


1 comment:

Bert Haverkate-Ens said...

I should note that the picture I associated with this word sketch is not the one that inspired my writing, but it suits very well. The other summer dress also lingers in my mind. And you.