Thursday, October 23, 2014

Watching pigeons




The pigeons don’t mean anything,
as far as I can tell.
But I watch as they fly off together.
They flock in unison,
each pair of wings,
catching the late afternoon sun
on the beat,
white on white,
the wings flash in time.
And then,
on some astronomical cue,
they wheel as though
spoked together around some axle,
white turns gray
in a blink of an eye.
The flock turns.

I, myself,
turn at the end of the bridge,
the lowering sun now in my eye.
The pigeons have flown off in unison
and have come back to rest,
lined up a wingspan apart
on the cable over the river,
heads into the sharp west wind,
each tail a rudder flap,
up and down,
adjusting one pigeon's trim
up and down the line. 
The flock,
now perched,
has gone random,
heads steady,
tail down and up, up and down,
at random.

So I begin to wonder
what the pigeons mean.

1 comment:

dawnmarie said...

Even pigeons sound beautiful and are beautiful in their flight. Thanks for the word picture.