Thursday, November 20, 2014

Tea Project - Lawrence Arts Center



Not everything goes together like tea and sugar.
A soldier back from Iraq served me hot tea
and sugar in a ceramic cup
where I sat,
the cups lined up on wooden racks
reminiscent of the Styrofoam cups
decorated by detainees in places
like Guantanamo.
He and others had made a cup
for every detainee,
he and others talked about
thousands or more, I was distracted
by girls in their dancing tights
slipping around and behind
and up the stairs to their class.
There was solitary and torture
and innocence, lost on me
as the afternoon sun came through tall windows
from behind me where I sat in the listening crowd
and me,watching the sunwashed white wall above.
I did not see the girl on the walkway
overhead, but then there came silently dancing
a shadow on that bright wall.
I lost count how many cups were mentioned,
one sat empty at the foot of my chair
still with a sip of tea and sugar gone cold.

1 comment:

dawnmarie said...

quite a juxtaposition, like life I suppose.