Thursday, February 19, 2015

Nothing better to do


Nothing better to do
Gulls standing in shallow water
Leaning against the rail of the Kaw River Bridge
How should I spend my time?
Why should I not spend my time
thinking about you?

I could be leaning against the railing
of the Kaw River Bridge,
gulls standing in shallow water.
From this distance
they are bigger than grains of salt,
occasionally one flaps it’s wings
for a second or two,
but does not take off.
It stands in the shallow water
a while longer.

Looking at the sky,
the patterns in the clouds,
the colors can be breathtaking.
But how long can I watch the jet contrails
evaporate into thin blue air
or waves inches high lap against
the sandbar too far away to see
more than a sand-colored line against the water –
the water reflecting the sky?

I think I thought of you in between other
thoughts so I wouldn’t spend time
I don’t know how to keep anyway
unnecessarily.

There were minutes waiting for the light to change.
I ignored the sun setting for the billionth time.

I could have had some free time
waiting for the pasta water to boil,
but instead I used it to put away yesterday’s dishes
from where they had drained dry.
I have managed to pick up spare moments,
in the afternoon and evening
but something else always catches my gaze.

Perhaps tonight when it is dark and quiet,
I’ll find an hour or two just to think of you.

I’ll remember how you looked in my mind
when I was leaning against the rail
of the Kaw River Bridge and how I pointed to
the silly gulls standing in shallow water
in front of the island.

You were at that very moment walking across
a different bridge. Perhaps we were thinking
nearly the same thoughts. How blue is the sky?
Why are we so far apart?

1 comment:

Trix said...

Gulls standing in shallow water. Here, they would be standing on ice.