Thursday, February 26, 2015

When roads converge

 

I woke up in the middle of the night
with magic meandering in my mind.
I got up to make a few notes on a pad.
It was closer to three, actually,
when I finally turned out the light
and slipped back into bed.
It was still warm, but just barely.
Then before seven I awoke.
The unfinished business was tugging.
I put on my slippers and my hoodie.
To the computer I nearly stumbled,
I rubbed my eyes while it booted
and considered again the magic
that turned the girl next door
into the young woman posting photos
from Morocco.
It wasn’t that much of a poem,
but I sent it across the internet anyway,
in the hopes that she would be reminded
that her life was magical to more than just herself.

Then I turned to matters quite urgent,
the fate of the planet hung spinning in the balance,
I resolved what I could and then returned,
to a little light housekeeping.
My desktop had gotten cluttered –
I moved digital files into digital folders.
I created more digital folders for more digital files.
And then I came on the digital name of a young woman,
a student and a barista that I knew.
I had forgotten what I had put into those bytes of space
and when I opened it up I was surprised,
that I had written something more readable
than some of the nonsense I sometimes write.

So I polished it up.
It had taken a bit of careful thought,
and when I finished, my mind was spilling over.
I got up from my chair
and began pacing the floor,
which makes my wife nervous.
She was preparing to leave for her class.
As I packed her a lunch,
I realized that I could do two things at once,
I could carry her books and walk her to school.
I tossed aside my slippers and slipped on my sneakers,
I snuck my pants on over my long johns
and threw on a scarf.

We stepped out the front door together.
The air was cold, even biting.
The 14th Street hill as steep as ever.
But in time we were resting on top.
She had to go to her class.
We kissed, her glasses were fogged.
She walked off to the right
and I decided to go left.
I wandered through Fraser to get a drink of water.
Then rather than pushing out the back door to home,
I turned through the front doors instead.
The students were hurrying to class.
I was more interested in what they were doing,
than some of them were interested in themselves,
perhaps. They may never have seen me at all.

When I reached the library I had another decision to make,
one in the billion choices I will have in my time.
Would I walk straight ahead,
or turn towards the street?
And here’s the moment where I tell you I believe
in coincidences – I swear that they happen.
I was half-way to the street,
when what to my decluttering mind should appear
but the girl with the digital name.
I had stamped the envelope for a paper post
minutes before stepping out my front door.
I could have handed to her very hand my note.
She was riding her bike and smiling
into my eyes and she raised
her hand and we slapped mittens as she passed.
I hoped she read her name on my lips,
but our eyes read each others’ quite clearly.
I know you.

But this is not the coincidence that I believe in,
this was but a lucky chance.
The wondrous thing was that me and she –
and so many more than she - met at all.
It was all more than a billion to one against.
And more astronomical still
that me and thee should find something
in the other that we like.
We are passing each other in time so quickly,
that we should happen to care at all for each other
is nothing less than magic.

I can only be the poet I am
and the story you can believe if you wish.
I will borrow the words of another,
it’s surely a coincidence that his name was Frost.
Two sidewalks diverged by the library,
I took the one toward the street,
the young woman’s mitten was Kyra’s,
and her eyes made all of the difference.

2 comments:

Trix said...

I like the ending of this a lot. When I was writing, I had a hard time with endings.
Sarah and I used to walk up that 14th street hill several times/week on our evening walks, and never stopped once at the bars on the left or right although the students were always having fun.

Bert Haverkate-Ens said...

This might be too subtle for words, as they say, but they're what I've got.

If I walk across the Kaw River Bridge every day, I don't see what's happening along the Burrough's Creek Trail. But the one day I do take the road less traveled might be the very day the sky reflects off of the river exactly the same as it did the first time I finally saw the sky reflected in the river. That was some day.

If I'm asking myself what I'm missing, I'm probably asking the wrong question. But sometimes the wrong turn takes you to where you didn't know you wanted to go.

Time's arrow flies forward.

I liked the place in our parallel universes where we met each other. How to converge again? We have some choices, not all of them.

See Heraclitus - Can't step in same river twice.

But I will look for you again. I'll probably be sitting at one of three bar stools along the counter facing the front door at Aimee's coffee shop this afternoon.

I met a niece there once. She was a barista. Now she's studying abroad in Scotland. I commented this morning on the blue water on a photo she posted on the FB. She replied something about a white balance setting - but that the water really was nearly that blue.

I don't make this stuff up - except that she isn't really my niece. I imagine what I want to be true sometimes.

But what if I had started stopping at Henry's instead? On the other hand, what if I stop there this afternoon?

Life boggles my brain. Sometimes in the sweetest ways imaginable.