Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Bare branches



This winter I have not been discontent. I have not been impatient with bare branches. I am now eager for spring, leaning with the earth into the sun. But this year I have looked more often with some care through bare branches. I have missed less what I could not see and sometimes have noticed I could see farther along certain sight-lines. Green-fringed horizons cannot come too soon, but gray-fringed skies will be missed. To see farther I shall merely have to go out into the open.  I shall look up.

Tonight, most of the sky was hazy. Sky time - the two stars of the dipper overhead hardly visible pointing down to the pole star- was midnight when I checked. Bare branches around me black against a brighter sky. Often at dusk I have walked through South Park. Easily, the nearer bare branches  passed before the farther ones. My video is jerky, even though I took some care. The passing  seemed so smooth to my walking eyes. Tricks of the mind.

I am ready for green leaves by day and black leaves by night to hide what has not been hidden to my open winter eyes. The sun will still reflect off the white limestone of the courthouse. The fountain will burble again. The shadows will change on the ground. Some reds will seem redder.

The equinox approaches. Good bye bare branches, for this season passes without my effort and little lasting regret. I have not been discontent with this winter. It could, perhaps, have snowed more. It did get biting cold, but not too often for my bundled body. And the sun was low in my eyes, often enough. And shining through bare branches.

And the moon is full every twenty eight days. I have never bothered to count to be sure. And the sun will soon have to climb higher in the morning before I can see it directly. I can live with that.









Still photos March 9, 2015

1 comment:

Trix said...

I can live with that too. I am very ready for the snow to melt. T