Thursday, March 12, 2015

From the far bank



When the sun is going down,
a fringe of bare branches still reach up
between the horizon
and the deep-shadowed earth,
trunks mooring down to the water line,
flaunting face stares into my eyes
if I drop my outstretched hand,
raised, not in salute - but well I might.
The river’s ripples
reflect the persuasive blazing,
waves scattering light shards in all directions,
mostly downstream, the band of dazzle
drifts toward the bridge
and yet still holds in place.
The watery way looks bearable,
not to my feet, but softer to my eyes.
Yet the wet rivulets and the sprightly wavelets of lights,
like tiny boats bobbing, are driven
not by current or oar, but by the west wind.
Outlying coracles wink under the span
of liquid sunlight and head back out into the blue.

2 comments:

dawnmarie said...

This poem does what I admire in poetry--stretches time a bit as I imagine that scene, and the there's a resonance to some of the word combinations.

Trix said...

Had to look up coracle. ;-)