Thursday, May 21, 2015

Write dumb poems or die


I started to dig my grave today.

I stepped outside my back door
and looked all around
and up and down
and in a flash of morning sunlight
on a curved vane of dulled aluminum
bobbing on the breeze,
it seemed clear to me that the time had finally
come.

I looked reluctantly over the white heads of clover
peeking through the green blades of grass.
I mourned the peonies spent and low on the lawn.

But weeds were thriving.
I bent to pull several handfuls
from around the scrap iron sculpture
near the pea soupy garden pond.

With some slight decorum
I dropped the weeds
onto the yard waste pile yet to break down
behind the garage,
painted finally for what would be the last time
only last summer
by me not yet 59.
The dark, rich compost had been shoveled
and spread
just this very departing spring
in the flower and vegetable beds.

So there was ample room at ground level now
for a substantial hole –
and fitting.
But rocks and tree roots
would make the digging hard.

I looked over by the faded fence
to where a small stone
marked the place where
our first cat had surely
by now been mostly decomposed,
leaving mostly bones.

But with the rhubarb
to one side
and the oak leaf hydrangea on the other –
no room.

My resting head near a perennial, perhaps.
The baptisia rising
from the earth,
spires of false indigo petals -
purple appearing in blue sky light.
Too close to the driveway.

Plodding past, I saw the rain gauge,
nearly full.
Perhaps some bugs had come
to drink and drown.
But now, no longer planning to live forever,
I tilted my head and drank the shot down
and slammed the empty cylinder back.

The inevitable was unavoidable.
My end, no longer inconceivable.
The air was brisk for May -
probably what had begun to make my nose
sniffle.
I hawked and spat.

Death.

Deliberately I turned towards the garage,
my back slowly receding from the rising
sun.
The shovel hung there on two nails
on the inside wall.

But, no!
No, I would not do
what I wanted not.
Let the grave digger
come after me.

I mowed the lawn instead.




2 comments:

dawnmarie said...

Wise choice. I suppose being aware of our deaths helps us be in the moment better and appreciate life, but too much may not be a good thing. Downing rainwater like a shot?! That's a Bert thing.
:-)

Trix said...

Excellent choice, friend. I love the blue indigo. Our's is not blooming yet, nor the peonies. Enjoyed this.