Thursday, October 15, 2015

Open books



I look at people’s faces as if they were open books,
written in the language my Grandmother used to speak to me when I was new.
I answered her in English and I was told that we understood each other completely.
Sometimes I think I can understand what I see in people’s faces,
though I don’t always care for what their faces say.
I wonder if my Grandmother would have understood them better.
But why would I even try to read the faces of strangers?
Except that they are like an open book
and sometimes I have read what I have wanted to believe since I was new.
I answer the faces as I naturally would.
I admit that I do not always know what I am saying
and sometimes I don’t know what I have read.
I don’t even remember talking to my Grandmother.
But I’m fascinated by people’s faces.
I read them as if they were an open book
in a language my Grandmother might have understood.

1 comment:

dawnmarie said...


I love this line:
"and sometimes I have read (in them) what I have wanted to believe since I was new."
It seems like much our best experience as human beings comes when we are so open to, and optimistic about, others. And we "read" them to connect.