Thursday, November 5, 2015

Trick



Invisibility is not that hard to achieve. Of course, it was dusk turning to nighttime and the kids and the parents were watching where they were walking. And they could see that our porch light was on. But I was certainly watching them as they came, illuminated by that same pale light. I stood next to the limestone porch pillar, the last of the summer’s morning glories and the oak leaf hydrangea about my head and shoulders. I was clothed in the color of shadows, standing motionless except for some deep breathing. There really was no reason to expect a 210 lb. man to be standing there at all - except that it was Halloween night. I was invisible.

I could hear the kids telling each other that this was the house as they hurried past me. Last year there were these two dummies, and then one turned out to be real. It was Pumpkin Head. And there have been years before that.

From where I stood this year, I could hear a kid tell my wife who was handing out candy at the front door that ‘that guy’ had scared him so bad last year that he had nightmares. Of course, I was happy to see that he had come back for more.

The girls from across the street paid me the high compliment of saying that I looked creepy even when they knew it was me underneath my cloak of invisibility. They had skipped my house several years earlier - even with their mother with them. Back then, even candy couldn’t entice them to our porch.

A neighbor, from two houses over, walked up the walk behind his daughter as she climbed the porch steps. I moved soundlessly up behind him as he asked Dawn, who was standing with the candy on the porch, “Where’s Bert?” A pumpkin-headed dummy was sitting at a card table just to one side of the sidewalk and physicists aren’t easily fooled.

I tapped him on the shoulder and he turned and exclaimed, “Claude Rains!” I had my face wrapped in an ace bandage, my eyes covered by plastic purple slatted glasses. My fedora was a little rumpled. I looked the part of The Invisible Man - if you could see me.

It had still been dusk when Keller, the seven year old girl from down the street and her dad walked past me, waiting by the pillar where I could easily overhear them talking to each other as they went by. They turned and then they stopped part way up the front walk to wait for Keller’s brother, Owen, to catch up. He was still across the street. I took one quiet giant step out from my shadows as he was crossing and Keller was looking the other way. I froze again.

I couldn’t figure out who she was dressed as, but she was aqua colored from her head to her feet. Then I called out her name in a low voice, “Keller.” Her dad saw me then but he didn’t give me away. Her older brother came up and I called out again, just loudly enough to be heard, “Owen.” He looked over at me and figured it out right away. I had talked to him earlier in the day about his own costume. I had not really changed that much since then.

He walked confidently to the porch, but Keller was uncertain. She had suddenly seen The Invisible Man standing still where there had been no one standing only moments before. She stood frozen in her own way to the sidewalk. Her dad urged her to hurry and go get the candy and then they could run away. But she wasn’t sure enough about what she was seeing to do anything at all and she kept looking at me for some sign that nothing really scary was there.

Her brother came back from getting his candy, and then finally Keller grabbed her dad’s sleeve and hurried him up to the front door with her. And then, as they reached the sidewalk and turned up the street, I could see her aqua face looking back at me from over her shoulder. I had remained almost motionless, but I do hope that she saw me eventually waving.

At some points in the night, The Invisible Man just wandered the yard. Sometimes the kids came so fast, I just couldn’t make it back to my shadows. I grabbed a bold one or two and chased a few – an advancing step and a word were all that it took. I materialized as a very large dark scarecrow in the tall zinnia stalks in the flowerbed near the street - three girls daring each other to go touch my outstretched hand.

And I was back in the middle of the front lawn when a young mother turned her head and noticed me standing there in the grass. She stopped about where Keller had paused. I was no more than three or four giant steps away from her. Her husband and her child had already gone up to the porch.

“That’s not real?” she half-queried her husband. He quickly replied, “No that’s real.” I stood, motionless as a statue, as husband and wife disagreed back and forth several more times. Eventually, as these things go, the father and their child came back from getting the candy and the young mother said emphatically one more time, “That’s not real!”

I took one step towards her and she screamed.

Music to my ears.

And the kids just keep getting younger – and older.


**


Pumpkin Head - 2014  With links to other Halloween Stories


The Invisible Man - All Hallow's Eve - 2015

No comments: