Thursday, November 12, 2015

Waffle with a side of gravy



The sun was coming up in the morning;
I walked along the sandbar with my wife;
You could see the waffle tracks
of two sets of tennis shoes at water’s edge.

But what we do together -
you would hardly call it tennis -
but the ball goes back and forth across the net
and bounces.

Later she would be grading the presentations
of someone else’s kids from China
and you would be handing me a plate
of waffles, they call them Belgian, at Aimee’s.

I had a side of biscuit gravy.
It’s better that way
if you like Mrs. Butterworth’s and gravy on a waffle.
Maybe it’s only the salty and the sweet.

You took a break for your own breakfast;
you rode on a barstool made for one
with a guy who still writes with a pencil on lined paper.
Could you tipple and fall?

I was telling a story to the guy
sitting in between us.
The story was about making a young mother scream.
I had said that scaring kids at Halloween is child’s play.

And I looked over and saw your face flash into mine.
Is it because you think I’m funny
or do you get me now and then
because you are?

Love is a lot like riding a bike.
Your feet are off the ground
and the world seems to be
flying by so much faster.

But the mist rises imperceptibly off the
late summer river up into the cooler
autumn air.
It hovers between heaven and earth.

And Dawn happens to be the name of
my wife of almost thirty years
and the sun rises between us.
It didn’t have to work out that way.

But on All Saints Day,
the sky was clear and the day was coming bright.
And for a moment your father and I
have something in common.

And it wasn’t just that we sometimes
have worn pumpkin heads on Halloween.
Some things your never forget how to
once you’ve learned how to,
but do you always remember to do it?

Every now and then I think that you should ride a bike
with someone you love,
it doesn’t need to be at sunrise
and you don’t need the bicycle.

1 comment:

Trix said...

side of gravy sounds great.