Thursday, March 24, 2016

House call



I turned on the light and woke up the cat
just long enough for it to stretch 
and settle its head over its front paws -
eyes soon closed again.
Whether her ears perked forward,
listening, I could not tell.

The window was dark.
The house quiet.
No sound coming from outside.
There was a ringing in my ears,
I answered it.
No one was on the other end.

Then the refrigerator kicked on.
Thank goodness!
For a moment I had thought 
that I might be all alone.
Well, there was the cat,
now curled up on a pile of clothes
in the purple chair.

And if I opened the study door,
I would likely hear Dawn
softly snoring
snug as a bug
in her blankets.
Then I heard a train,
faint, in the distance.

And now I’m thinking of you
looking over my shoulder.
Why don’t you hang around here with me a little longer 
if you have nothing better to do.
I welcome the company of your memory.
You told me once or twice that you played with words
in the night long ago.

Would you like a glass of water?
There’s a little leftover pie,
apple.
The doctor gave me some news today.
She said nothing of dying.
That’s good news, right?

If I turn off the light in front of me,
I can see out of my window some of the cane,
scalpel leaves, in silhouette 
against the street lighted trees on Mass Street.
You gave me a bagful of root and stem –
that cane - a dozen years ago  –
it must actually be more than that now.
I had to finally put down a metal barrier 
to try to keep the cane out of the tomatoes
last year.
I’m thinking a BLT would be good right about now,
but the season is long over.

What do you say to some pie?
Then I think I’ll see about curling
my nose into my tail.
Quiet.

Morning in a few more hours.

2 comments:

Trix said...

Then the refrigerator kicked on.
For a moment I had thought
that I might be all alone.

This made me smile. Thanks.

dawnmarie said...

I love this piece. Brings back good memories of your Dad. All of of the loves of our lives hang around as long as we're alive it seems.