Thursday, March 17, 2016

Stand close



If you had stood where I had stood,
on a mostly overcast afternoon in January,
you would have easily seen the gulls
circling, white wings over white turbine-churned water,
their calls sometimes piercing through
the whine of spinning generators.

And you could hardly have missed
seeing the water flowing round the bend
and then the next bend and the next.
I did not bother to count the bends
or the circling gulls.

An island of white limestone to the left,
a red brick power plant to the right -
why was my gaze drawn to the horizon?
At that distance the bare branches
lining the banks of the Kaw River
were fuzzy swatches of gray.

And then, as if a patch of gray underneath the gray
had caught on fire, the burning color of sunlight sped
from bare branches to the streaming water into my glancing eyes.

Seconds later, not a thing appeared different -
still circling, still bending,
still whining and churning,
And no charring, no dying embers.
Except that the tips of the white winged gulls looked singed with charcoal.
One step sooner or closer and I might have been consumed.

1 comment:

Trix said...

Except that the tips of the white winged gulls looked singed with charcoal.
One step sooner or closer and I might have been consumed.

I like those lines.