Thursday, May 26, 2016

Conversation in the rain


If it hadn’t been raining,
Charlie wouldn’t have been looking out from
under the awning of the rec building in South Park.

I walked up to him to compare forecasts
and he decided to share half of my tiny umbrella,
for several blocks –
not that it would do much good.

He’s a man a full generation older
and he steps lively in his thoughts.
And with our shoes quickly filling
as puddles filled sidewalks
and the surrounding lawns squished,
we walked with our ears occasionally close
half underneath my inadequate umbrella.

We hadn’t seen each other for awhile
and we each inquired about the other’s health
and then Charlie wanted to ask me about
a quote about existentialism
from a man named Krutch.
We paused under an awning at Footprints
so that he could consult a note from his shirt pocket.
Then we stepped out into the rain
and after some thought and more raindrops
I essentially had to agree:
Nature outside ourselves cannot be man’s source of meaning.
An existentialist must find meaning within.

Charlie said to me then that Wordsworth
was therefore refuted.
And after each of us jumped a couple of
gushing gutters he said
that then here was what Wordsworth had to say.

And he quoted me line after line
of a poem
for roughly a city block,
as we ducked under dripping tree branches
and splashed.
And when we turned at the light,
I had to admit then as well
that Wordsworth really wasn’t wrong.

Charlie laughed.

We were well soaked below our knees
and the rest of us was reasonably damp.
We parted at the corner of 17th and New Hampshire,
each to change into drier clothes.

If it hadn’t been raining,
I wouldn’t have gotten wet.

2 comments:

dawnmarie said...

I love this. I can picture you two consulting and your poem captures the pace and depth of your conversation. Being able to quote a poem for a block is a lost art.
thanks.....

Trix said...

Wonderful. I do love Lawrence.