Thursday, June 2, 2016

To Trevor and whomever it may concern



The glass I regularly drink iced tea in
at my regular coffee shop is broken.
Not like the resilient planet we live on –
it’s just the people here that are half-cracked.
Plastic is what we think we can rely on
as if there were no tomorrow.
And now today is more disposable than yesterday.

Oh, I know that it’s craziness to think
that there is literally a last straw
and that just one more disposable
plastic glass will break the planet’s back.
But it’s even crazier still to think that every little thing
that we do or don’t do doesn’t matter.
If you add up and compound every
inconsequentiality and then you finally end up with nothing –
or at least nothing of any consequence,
then we all are certainly entirely too crazy to live on this planet –
anyway.

So I sat down on the sunlit sidewalk
and drew a round nearly round sun
with pointy rays in bright chalky hot pink chalk
for a little girl that I know only just a little.
She told me that the sun was supposed
to be yellow and of course she was and is right
and she is, of course, less cracked because she is so much younger
and so much more innocent than my old and negligent self.
I said that maybe it could be a flower and I drew
a long purple stem winding away from one side.
Only then it looked more like a kite or a prickly balloon
and so I added two three-toed pink feet
to the end of the purple strand and by then
it wasn’t clear what we had
besides a lot of colored chalk on the sidewalk.
And so I drew a single green eye
in the middle of the slightly sun-warmed pink circle
with curling green lashes
not unlike lashes so many little girls do have
but not necessarily green - and then I told
the little girl that it was a microscopic sea creature.
And do you know what?
The little girl smiled at me.
Who knows what she was thinking? – Indeed!
I like to think that I’m only half-crazy,
but I hope it’s the good half
of this crazy little thing that matters.
It might be love or it might be the deep blue sea.
Not everything matters as much
as the next thing, but if we are unable to pretend
that some choices matter a little
and that sometimes,
with a little help from our friends,
some choices might indeed add up to a life
worth living – well then …

You can call me crazy if you want to,
but if iced tea in plastic glasses is sanity,
I would rather make chalk drawings for little girls.
And maybe one day we will all wash away
in the very last rain that a human eye will ever see.
Or maybe, as her mother drove off the asphalt
in their dusty fossil fueled van into unseen exhaust,
that little girl powered down her window
and she merely called out to me ‘I’m your future.’
Or maybe she really just shouted ‘good-bye’ to me
and I merely called back to her to ‘have a good day.’  
Or maybe I wished her ‘a good life.’
Whatever I said really didn’t much matter –
after all.
You know, the climate didn’t change
very much on that blue sky morning -
but it was nevertheless her smile that mattered
and it is that little green eyelash of a girl that still does –
to me.

So if I have a choice, I’ll drink iced tea
from a glass glass,
even if it doesn’t do the planet
any particular good -
and maybe – just perhaps –
little things matter.

No comments: